Monday, November 10, 2008

The Importance of Connectivity


This weekend, the dad of one of my oldest and dearest friends passed away. Since the moment she called to tell me, I have been very tearful and reflective. He was a wonderful man and was one of many role models I had as a young person. Although he had been stricken with an illness that affected him for many years, he remained an amazing inspiration who loved God and his family with all of his heart.

At the funeral home last night, as well as at the funeral today, I was able to see many people from the church where I grew up. I was a part of that church until I was 27 years old. Because of this, I was flooded with many fond memories from my childhood through my young adulthood. I am so very grateful for the stability and foundation in my life that my parents, other family members, and my church provided for me. Even though we left my childhood church to attend another one, whenever I see anyone from there, they are always genuinely kind, and they make me feel very special. I can honestly say that I never remember anyone from that church shunning us or being rude to us in any way.

One of my aunts also attended the funeral today, and we were talking about it afterward. She made the statement about how wonderful the connectivity was among everyone there. The word connect means: "to join, or fasten together, as by something intervening; to associate; to combine; to unite or link together; to establish a bond or relation between." She went on to say that the bonds that are established in true love are always there no matter what. These bonds can never be broken. I truly experienced that today along with a flurry of emotions. While I was grateful to God for what he had established in my life since the day I was born, I was saddened by how deceived my husband and I were to leave such an atmosphere in order to end up at a Word of Faith church for 24 years. I grieved over the fact that my children were robbed of what I had experienced. I was struck by how hard I had worked to please a pastor and be what was expected of me instead of truly just being myself. I was saddened by what I had become over those years at the former church.

We can see what absolute and utter nonsense is being preached at our former church, and the childish and classless attitudes of the former pastor and his family. We have maintained a connectivity with family and friends and are enjoying life in a way that we have never experienced before. I encourage you to pull in close with family and friends and stay connected. There is no bond stronger than one that is established on true love.


-V